The Local Government Association (LGA) commissioned the Tavistock Institute and the Local Government Centre, Warwick Business School, to undertake an impact assessment of the Performance Partnership Central Bodies on local government improvement.
ObjectivesThis review of the effectiveness of the Performance Partnership will produce:
- An integrated, well-grounded, pragmatic understanding of what drives and sustains improvement and of what works and under what circumstances.
- An initial assessment of the impact of the partnership in the context of that understanding of what drives improvement.
- A framework for future evaluation and investment decisions.
MethodologyThe work will be carried out in four distinct phases:
- A review of the relevant literature and some initial discussions, aimed at capturing the various perspectives on what drives and sustains improvement in local councils, including the synergies and contradictions between them.
- Work with a number of councils to reality check emerging conclusions about what drives improvement and seek evidence and perceptions of the impact of the partnership’s activities.
- A dialogue with a range of stakeholders, including the partnership members, government and the inspectorates, to further test the merging conclusions and seek further evidence and perceptions of the impact of the partnership’s activities.
- The production of the final report.